International trips through EWB are open to Penn students of all years. Generally, students of freshman through junior standing (at the time of the application process) participate. Trips are not closed to only engineers, and we welcome applications from all undergraduate schools at Penn. The application timeline is as follows:
• Teams are composed of 12 students (2 of which are project leads who went on the trip the previous year) and 2 Penn faculty members.
• Information sessions are held to answer questions from potential applicants and give information about the project.
• Applications (online) will be distributed in October.
• There will be one round of interviews with student leaders.
• There will be a second round of interviews with mentors.
• Teams will be selected after the mentor interviews
• Participation in an EWB class in the spring semester (one 3-hour class a week for 6 weeks)
• The class allows for the team to plan the project and to learn about the background of the project as well as the culture of the community. General principles for sustainable development are also emphasized.
• The class counts for 2 C.U. – for engineers this usually translates to one technical elective and one free elective
• Implementation Trip
• 2 week trip
• Early May or late August
• Daily journal
• Essay on a sustainability topic of your choice relating to the country due early in the fall semester following the trip
Please email our Vice President of International Relations, whose contact information can be found on our board page, for more information.